Headphones or Earplugs usually come into play whenever you want to escape from the outside world. You might be using earphones when listening to music, or watching a movie. Some of you might be using them while studying, to listen to audio or video lessons. Whether you are at home or traveling somewhere, earphones are always there to entertain you. Isn’t it? But have you thought what happens to your body when you use headphones continuously for a long period of time.
Do you know the effects of using earphone too much? Probably No. But we got you covered. Here in this article, we are going to know what will happen to your body if you keep using headphones for too long and too often. Keep reading to find out.
You must have heard that doing anything excessively can have negative effects. The same goes with earphones usage. These electronic devices can prove to be a weapon for you if not used wisely. According to Doctors, one must follow a 60-60 rule while using headphones. This means that there is no harm when the volume is at 60% for every 60 minutes of listening. If we exceed any of this, then it has negative effects on our body. You may experience head spinning, nausea, and sleep disorders.
But the list of problems doesn’t ends here! Let’s take a look on what more can happen if you overuse headphones too much.
- Severe Headache – If you wear earphones for too long, then you may experience severe headache as your ears and head are not made to get compressed for so long. Wearing earphones around your head can also result in migraines if you use them too much and too often.
- Impaired Hearing – This is pretty much obvious that Headphones can affect the hearing ability of your ears. If you break the 60-60 rule and use headphones at full volume, then you may develop impaired hearing. So, make sure that you take a break after every 60 minutes of headphone usage.
- Ear Blockage – If you use in-ear earphones, then it can block the ear canal. This happens because the earbuds stop the ear wax from coming out of your ear canals, thus blocking its way. This ear wax gets accumulated inside your ear and can result in earaches and ear blockage. Eventually, this hampers your hearing.
- Vertigo – Vertigo is a special condition. It’s an illusion of movement that is not there in real. You feel a spinning sensation of losing body balance. This occurs when you use noise-isolating earbuds for too long on a regular basis. Along with vertigo, you may feel dizziness and nausea. The high volume music stimulates your inner ear nerves and creates an unpleasant pressure inside your ear. Thus, developing the vertigo situation.
- Sensations – When you use headphones for a long time, then you may start hearing some non-existing sounds. You may start hearing buzzing, clicking, ringing, and other sounds which are not actually there. Such sensations can be prevented by following the 60-60 rule and limiting the use of headphones, especially headphones with earbuds and earplugs.
- Skin Problems – It may appear illogical that earphones can result in acne and skin problems. But you will be surprised to know that this actually happens. When you use big over-ear earphones especially when you work out and sweat, then bacteria may develop on your skin. This can lead to acne and other skin problems. Also, the earplugs block the ear wax and excess oil inside your ear which creates the perfect condition for bacteria to develop. This bacteria inside ear can cause ear pimples and acne.
Now you know what will happen if you use headphones too much. To avoid any of these problems, just make sure that you follow the 60-60 rule suggested by experts and limit the usage of headphones. As you all know, that prevention is always better than cure. So, its better that you prevent your ears against above-mentioned problems. Use headphones wisely and make your life a little better.
If you also know someone who use earphones too much, then do share this article with them. So that they can know what can happen if they don’t limit their earphones usage. If you have any queries regarding this, then you can put them in the comments below. Till then, stay healthy and safe.