The color of your lip’s skin might not be as pink as others. But always remember that no shade or color is healthier or superior to others. However, sometimes, the color of your lips may indicate that they need more care and attention. The change in the color of lips is termed as discoloration or pigmentation of the skin on your lips. This condition can develop due to medical as well as certain lifestyle factors. In this article, you will come to know about some of the possible causes of dark lips and the most important, how you can lighten your dark lips naturally.
Causes of Dark Lips
Before moving to the natural ways of treating dark lips, you must know about the things that might be turning your lips dark and black. Some of the possible causes are:
- Increase in the production of melanin due to increased exposure to the sun.
- Excessive smoking can lead to pigmentation of the skin.
- Allergies from certain mouth care products like toothpaste, lipstick, etc.
- Medical conditions can also lead to the darkness of lips.
- Intake of too much Caffeine.
- Deficiency of essential Vitamins
Also See: How To Remove Blackheads Naturally
Natural Remedies To Lighten Dark Lips
- Coconut Oil: Take a little virgin coconut oil onto your index finger and apply it to your lips. Leave it on to dry. You may do this 1-2 times daily.
- Lemon and Honey: Take a teaspoon each of lemon juice and honey. Mix well and apply it to your lips. Leave it on for 15-20 minutes and rinse with water. You may do this once daily.
- Aloe Vera: Take half a teaspoon of freshly extracted Aloe Vera gel and apply it to your lips. Rinse with plain water. You may do this 1-2 times daily.
- Cucumber: Take a few slices of cucumber and grind them. Apply the paste to your lips and leave it on for 15-20 minutes. Rinse with water. You may do this 1-2 times daily.
- Turmeric: Make a thick paste by mixing a teaspoon of turmeric powder with a little water. Apply the turmeric paste on your lips. Leave it on till it gets dry. Rinse with water. Do this at least once daily.
- Sesame oil: Apply sesame oil on your lips and leave it on until it dries. You may reapply the oil as necessary. You can do this 2-3 times daily.
- Pomegranate: Take a teaspoon of pomegranate powder and make a paste using water. Apply the paste on your lips and leave it on till it gets dry. Wash it off with plain water. Do this 2-3 times daily for fast results.
- Lemon and Sugar: Before bedtime, cut a lemon wedge and dip it in sugar. Rub your lips with the sugared lemon. The next morning, rinse your lips with lukewarm water.
- Rosewater: Mix 2 drops of Rosewater in 6 drops of Honey. Apply it to your lips 3-4 times a day. You can also do this process before going to bed at night.
- Olive oil: Before bed, massage a few drops of olive oil onto your lips.
- Strawberry: Make a paste by mixing together five crushed, medium-sized strawberries and 2 teaspoons of baking soda. Gently apply this paste to your lips at bedtime, and then rinse off with cool water the next morning.
- Almond oil: Massage almond oil onto your lips before going to bed and leave it overnight.
- Sugar: Add 3 teaspoons of sugar to 2 teaspoons of butter. Gently massage this mixture onto your lips for 3-4 minutes every alternate day. You can use olive oil also instead of butter.
- Mustard oil: Gently massage 1-2 drops of mustard oil on your lips. Do this at least once daily.
- Beetroot: Make a fine paste of beetroot by grinding. Twice a week, apply the beet paste to your lips. Leave in place for 5 to 10 minutes, then rinse off. After your lips are dry, apply a thin layer of petroleum jelly.
Try any of these natural ways to get rid of the darkness on the lips. If nothing works for you, then try consulting a specialized doctor or dermatologist for further treatment. These natural remedies will help you lighten your lips. It may take time but will definitely give you the desired results. Don’t forget to do a patch test before actually trying any of these remedies. If you have allergies to any of these things, then don’t use it and look for alternatives. Till then, stay healthy, stay safe!