Ringworm is a fungal infection of skin, nails and scalp. It is caused by the fungus named Tinea. This infection is very common among people with weak immune system. Mostly young children are more susceptible to ringworm fungal infection. Though it’s common and treatable, it is highly recommended to treat it in early stages only; as it could spread to several other parts of body, if ignored.
Symptoms of Ringworm
Before seeing the possible treatment of ringworm, let’s see the actual symptoms so that you can be sure whether you are experiencing a ringworm infection or not. Symptoms are:
- Red or scaly patches on skin
- Rashes around private parts and other parts of body
- Itchiness on the affected area
- Patches forming a ring (red on the outside of the ring)
Let’s us now take a look on some of the simple ways to treat ringworm. These are easy but effective methods that you can use for treating such infection.
Apply a Anti fungal Cream
The topical application of an antifungal cream, lotion, or powder is highly effective in the treatment of Ringworm fungal infection. Here’s how you can use it:
- Clean the affected area with a soft towel.
- Apply anti-fungal cream, lotion or powder on the rash.
- Do this 2-3 times as prescribed on the package or doctor.
- Leave it till the antifungal cream is absorbed into your skin.
- Repeat the steps till the rash completely goes away.
Let it breathe
You don’t have to cover the rash with bandages or clothes. Allow the air to pass. Bandaging or covering the rash locks the moisture in and doesn’t allow air to pass, thus spreading the infection. Try wearing loose and comfortable clothes, especially at night while sleeping. Make sure to dry private parts completely. Little bit of moisture can develop ringworm infection.
Change wet clothes
Try to keep the infection prone areas (feet, groin area, armpits, etc) dry. If you sweat a lot during summers, then bathe 2 times a day using an anti-fungal soap. Then you can also apply the antifungal lotion or cream. If somehow your clothes get wet, try changing them as soon as possible to avoid the fungal infection to grow. Change undergarments and socks on regular basis, especially when you sweat a lot.
Use an Antifungal Shampoo
Use an antifungal shampoo if the fungal infection develops on your scalp. It can lead to hair loss, patchy hairs, itchiness, dandruff, and baldness if left untreated. Anti-fungal Shampoos kill bacteria and fungus causing ringworm. Shampoos including antifungal ingredients like ketoconazole, selenium sulfide, or Zinc can help in the treatment of Ringworm infection.
Take oral medication
You can also take oral medication prescribed by doctor or dermatologist. The ringworm infection will vanish off if you keep on applying the antifungal cream onto the rash. However, if it occurs frequently, then try seeing a doctor and take the prescribed medications. You must take the medication properly till the rash completely disappears.
Additionally, try to avoid the share of personal care items like clothes, undergarments, tooth brush, towel, socks, handkerchiefs, etc. Make it a habit of washing your hands frequently with a sanitizer or water. These were some of the basic treatment of ringworm that you can try.
Home Remedies for Natural Treatment of Ringworm
Now, you can also try these Home Remedies for the treatment of ringworm infection if you want to treat it naturally. Let’s have a look:
- Garlic – It can be used to treat fungal infections. But to use it, you first have to make a paste of garlic by adding some coconut or olive oil. Apply that garlic paste to the affected area. Then, leave it for about 2-3 hours before rinsing. Repeat this till the rash disappears. However, if the garlic paste causes redness, tingling or swelling, then rinse off immediately and try using other home remedies.
- Apple Cider Vinegar – ACV is found to have antifungal properties. Thus, can be used against such fungal infections. To use apple cider vinegar, take a cotton pad. Soak it in the undiluted ACV and wipe it on the affected skin. Do this gently without any pressure. Repeat this 2-3 times daily till you get rid of the rash.
- Aloe Vera – Aloe Vera also have antifungal, antibacterial and antiviral properties that can fight such fungal infections. Apply the Aloe Vera gel onto the affected area. The gel will also help you in getting rid of the itchy and swollen skin. Apply the gel 2-3 times daily for better results.
- Coconut Oil – Coconut Oil contains fatty acids that are effective in damaging the fungal cells. Thus, coconut oil is an effective remedy for mild fungal infections. Apply coconut oil onto the affected skin thrice a day. It not only treats the infection but also prevent future ringworm infection.
- Turmeric – Turmeric has anti-inflammatory properties. You can consume turmeric with tea or milk to enjoy its benefits. For topical application, make a turmeric paste by adding water or coconut oil. Apply the paste onto the rash. Leave it for 1-2 hours before rinsing off. However, using turmeric on your skin can leave a yellow mark on it, which will fade within a few days.
- Tea Tree Oil – Tea Tree Oil can be used against bacterial and fungal infections. It is highly recommended in treatment of ringworm also. Apply the tea tree oil to the affected skin 2-3 times a day. People who have a very sensitive skin can dilute the oil before directly applying. You can dilute it by mixing it with essential oils like coconut oil, olive oil.
If symptoms show up even after 2 weeks after trying all these treatments, then it is highly recommended to see a doctor or dermatologist. Ringworm fungal infection is common and easily curable, but you should not ignore the symptoms in the early stages as it can lead to several other skin problems. It’s better to act as soon as you discover that you are going through such an infection. Till then, Eat Healthy. Stay Healthy & take very good care of yourself.