Green Tea – the one-stop solution for almost all skin problems is obtained from the plant named Camellia Sinensis. Green Tea, being rich in antioxidants has several benefits when consumed in moderation. The polyphenols present in the Green Tea can help your skin in preventing wear and tear, thus making it look younger and healthier. In this article, you will come to know how Green Tea may benefit your skin and how you can use it for your advantage. Keep reading to find out.
Green Tea Benefits for Skin
Are you worried about your skin? Has your skin become lifeless, full of dark spots, acne? Probably, most of you might be facing such skin problems. But you don’t have to worry anymore. Just try Green Tea and all your skin problem may vanish. Let’s see how:
1. Protects your Skin from UV Damage
Your skin cells get damaged when exposed to sunlight for a long period of time. This eventually can cause skin aging. Your skin might look dull and dry. Green Tea contains polyphenols that protect your skin from getting damaged by the UV rays from the Sun. The topical application of Green Tea on your exposed skin helps in cleansing of harmful radicals. Green Tea also helps in reducing skin pigmentation. But it needs more research to make sure that green tea benefits your skin.
2. Green Tea helps manage Acne
Most of the teenagers and adults are facing acne problems. Acne can occur due to hormonal imbalance, clogging of skin pores, bacterial infection, excess production of sebum, or inflammation of the skin. Green Tea can help get rid of the acne problem. A study shows that topical application of green tea on affected skin can reduce sebum production and inflammation of skin follicles. Decaffeinated Green Tea extract can decrease the number of acne lesion counts. However, more research is needed to prove that the intake of green tea benefits your skin.
( Also Read : 7 Best Foods for Healthy and Glowing Skin )
3. Prevents Skin Aging and Wrinkles
As we grew older, our skin gets old and starts to wrinkle. The collagen fibers that make your skin look smooth start breaking with time. This causes the skin to fold and droop. Green Tea has shown promising results in slowing down the breakdown of collagen and elastin fibers. This eventually delays skin aging. The antioxidants present in green tea can slow down the process of wrinkling, thereby making your skin smooth and wrinkle-free.
4. Reduces Risk of Skin Cancer
Harmful UV rays, chemicals, and toxins can cause skin cancer. According to studies, green tea helps in reducing the risk of skin cancer. It can suppress the growth of cancerous cells and tumors. The polyphenols present in green tea act as pharmacological agents to prevent solar UVB sunlight-induced skin disorders like skin cancer and photoaging. This shows that green tea has cancer-protective effects on your skin. However, more research is going on to give this study a strong base.
5. Prevents Dark Spots under your eyes
The skin around our eyes is delicate and thin. It gets easily affected when exposed for long. Dark Spots on the skin can occur due to UV exposure, bad sleeping habits, poor lifestyle, or stress. Green tea has antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, UV protective, and anti-wrinkle properties, that can help you prevent skin pigmentation, wrinkles, and dark spots.
( Also Read : Best Home Remedies For Pimples )
How to use Green Tea for Skin
So, now when you know that green tea benefits your skin. It’s time to have a look on how you can use green tea on your skin.
- Drink Green Tea: There are countless benefits of drinking green tea. Not only just skin, but green tea benefits several other parts of the body also. The anti-oxidative property of green tea makes it a perfect eliminator of harmful toxins from your body. This eventually helps your skin. Your skin looks fresh and glowing. Green Tea has anti-inflammatory properties that help in reducing stress and improving the quality of sleep. This leads to the recovery of skin cells, thus, making your skin better than ever.
Consult a doctor or nutritionist to decide the number of cups of green tea you can drink, according to your body needs and medical conditions.
- Apply Green Tea: Another way in which green tea can help you is applying it externally on your skin. The topical application of green tea on the affected skin areas can rejuvenate it. Green tea not only treats skin problems but also prevent them from recurring. Use cotton balls to apply green tea on your skin. Massage it gently. You can also use it with homemade face packs. Green tea has no side effects on the skin, provided that you are not allergic to it.
- Use Green Tea Bags: After drinking a cup of green tea, don’t throw the teabag. It can also be used for your benefit. Allow the tea bag to cool down to normal. Place the tea bag onto your eyes. This will give you a cooling effect on your eyes, thus making your eyes strain-free due to excessive screen time and sunlight exposure. Regularly doing this can help you in reducing dark circles and spots.
So, now you know how green tea benefits your skin and how you can use it. It doesn’t really matter, whether you drink green tea, or apply it on your skin, it will help you either way. Since it is natural, you can use green tea without any fear of side effects. So, why are you still waiting? Go and make yourself a cup of green tea and enjoy it!